Sunday, January 31, 2016

...To Preparation

When I started thinking about committing to this Whole30 business I was really gung-ho about it.  I mean, what's the big deal? You go 30 days without eating a few little things that you probably shouldn't be eating anyway, and then wham-bam 30 days later you are the healthiest person on the planet and everyone will bask in the radiance of your accomplishments. 
Easy peasy, right?
Wrong.
So let me start with the "few little things you would kill to eat can't eat".  The number one question I've gotten about this self torture 'challenge' is "What can and can't you eat?".  The list of things you can eat is long, which is nice, but the list of things you can't eat is probably longer... like I'm talking receipts from CVS long (click on that if you have no idea what I'm talking about). 
Here are just some of the 'can't have' items:
-Dairy
-Grains
-Sugar
-Alcohol 
-Fun
-Joy
....you get the picture. 
Now why most of the items listed above encompass all of my love languages (xoxo pizza),  there are several things I've discovered that are allowed on the Whole30 challenge that I'm really enjoying.  Shocking, I know.

Once you're able to get over going to the grocery store wearing racing horse blinders, it really becomes easy. The most important part of these 30 days for me has been preparation. If I'm able to have all of my meals planned out then I'm not leaving myself the opportunity to 'cheat' or more importantly go hungry... because big girl gets hangry when she's hungry.  Here's my own personal plan to planning... that has OCD written all over it doesn't it?

Step 1: What will I eat this week?
This step occurs every Sunday when I pull up my handy-dandy Pinterest and get to searching.  I'll be honest with you, I am one of the pickiest eaters I know.  So this part is a little hard for me. But after searching, I'm always able to come up with enough dinner meals to keep me happy and my husband married to me.

Step 2: What ingredients do I need to cook the food that I will eat this week?
This is where I get out my handy-dandy notebook and write down all of the ingredients that each dish needs.  A lot of these meals use some of the same materials, so it's always important to write down each thing so you can make sure you've gotten enough to last you until next Sunday.

Step 3: Take the ingredients and organize it by area in the grocery store.
Remember my little OCD comment? I like to do things that make my life easier.  And being able to go to the store and walk in one circular motion around the store without running back and forth like a chicken with my head cut off makes my life easier.  Also, how awkward is it to run into the same stranger in every aisle? I mean you can only say "excuse me, I'm sorry" so many times. So if you think this step is super redundant, then proceed to step 4. If you are trying to get in your FitBit steps, then by all means skip this step. But, if you are thinking to yourself, "Sarah, you genius lady, you!" then call me and we can be best friends.

Step 4: Go forth and conquer!
You made it to the grocery store! Congratulations! Before starting the Whole30, I honestly could not tell you the last time I went to the grocery store.  Viva la takeout! But now, this is my life.  You can find me Sunday-Fundaying in aisle 3.

Step 5: Go home put everything away and sit down.
Put your feet up, you deserve this.

Step 6: Get back up, lazy, there's food to prepare.  
Look at the menu you made for the week.  Is there anything you need to prepare for tomorrow's dinner? Set out some meat to thaw? Chop up some onions to hide your tears from not Sunday-Fundaying? Take this time to fix up whatever you might need to make for the week while you have time.  Because if you're like me, when I come home from work, the last thing I want to do is spend forever cooking.

Easy right? Okay maybe a 6 step process doesn't seem that easy, but I promise once you do it a few times you'll be surprised at how much you can do! I am surprised by myself everyday!

Here's some recipes that I made this past week that you can use to get prepared for your upcoming week!
Let me know if you try any and how they turned out!



(BREAKING: Zucchini Noodles are called ZOODLES and I can't deal)


 This little Ceviche number that a sweet work friend made for me that was so good I had to make it for myself! 

 Plantain Nachos...feels like you're cheating, but jokes on you because you aren't!

And finally my own little breakfast concoction.  Hmm what should I name it???
I can give you the recipe for this also if you want.  Spoiler alert: It. Was. Good. 

A little side note: Thanks a lot for the feedback guys! I joke a lot, but you have no idea how it makes me feel to know that there are other people out there who can relate to what I go through with my daily battles between food and self appreciation... and to know that I'm inspiring even one person is crazy humbling.

Enough of the mushy stuff... now go on and


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Hey!!!! So happy you're back to blogging :) definitely will help motivate you!! I haven't tried Whole30 yet, but for any kind of lifestyle change it's all in the preparation. Looks like you've been able to prep really well and plan ahead which rocks!! Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete